New year new me! Or is it? Did you know that up to 80% of new years resolutions fail? It may seem surprising given the new revitalised energy you may have to kick butt this year; that pizzaz is crucial however so you definitely dont want to lose it, you just want to learn how to make the most out of it so that you are one of the 20% who do make that resolution stick! No matter what sort of resolution it is; for example- quitting smoking, spending more time with a loved one, or even finally having the body you have always wanted- most of them fail because of unrealistic expectations and goals. You are literally uphauling your entire life- reprogramming and rewiring the way that your brain thinks. Change requires creating new neural pathways from new thinking, so you can not just expect to say I will lose 30kg and viola its done. One way I believe that can make that a more realistic goal to achieve is by setting SMART goals:
(S)pecific: what is your goal?
(M)easurable: find a goal that you can track the progress of so you can actively see the change.
(A)ttainable: Make sure you have the available requirements to go about this goal- do you have the right finances in order? did you set your time out correctly? make a short easy to reach target to begin with.
(R)ealistic: yes you may want to lose that 30kg asap but is it realistic? Start with 10kg for example and work your butt off towards that- it will reinforce your sense of achievement and is alot less disheartening and daunting than looking towards such a far away goal that you feel you cant reach.
(T)ime-bound: Using specific dates and times is important for the success of your goal. Implementing rewards is also important to stay motivated to keep on track.
while SMART goals are important to keep you on the road to success so are other factors/tips that in my opinion, everyone should be mindful of:
* Focusing on the present- what can you do now to get you closer to your goal? not what could you have done yesteday or what you could do tomorrow.
* Concentrate on forming new thoughts and new behavioral patterns- in essence; change the way that you think- your exsisting thought process never lead you to your goal in the past- why would it now? Start with a clean brain slate. You need to think new to change new. You know whats positive and what is not- start there.
* Focus on one goal instead of many scattered ones.
* Find a helpful friend or someone to rely on to help keep you on track. This could even be a personal trainer to help get you to where you need to be if you lack the knowledge and resources on how to get there.
* Celebrate any small goals achieved in between major milestones.
* Lastly, enjoy life and enjoy the journey and as i always say to all my clients -
TRUST THE PROCESS!
Happy new year from all of us here at The Totalprecon team :)